Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Modern Electric?

I was reading in the classifieds section of my Parkfairfax newsletter last night about contractors who are offering to install a modern electrical system in our condos and even central air. Oooooooooooh. I would love to just have working baseboard heaters and wall (window) air conditioners. (I have a long and exhausting home warranty story to accompany this subject. Will post at another time.)

But if we’re at the point now where it’s becoming a standard to have updated electrical systems (at least when we sell) then maybe I should get my electrical work done in the kitchen when I redo it. My bathroom electrical is already completed which is a plus. But my living area and bedroom both need to be updated. And then if my electrical system is all up to date then the next step would be to have a modern heating and cooling system.

All which I’m getting very overwhelmed about.

BUT, I’ll just take it one step at a time. Staring out with retiling my bathroom and putting in a recessed medicine cabinet. Simple enough.

Then I can move onto the bigger task of remodeling my kitchen. I was discussing with Aaron how I don’t want to overdo my kitchen and not make a profit off of it. I want to stay with the character of my place and was thinking about keeping my butcher-block countertop and just repair and replace where needed but it might be quite a hassle to find matching wood. While looking at prices of butcher-block countertops I found a few comments where people said that Ikea sells butcher-block. Interesting. I wasn’t planning on going the Ikea route for my kitchen just due to ‘quality.’ But I also don’t want to get custom, expensive cupboards made for my little space. So I’ve been stuck in a dilemma. But Ikea has been showing commercials on tv of their kitchens and they look quite nice and similar to the style I’m trying to achieve. (I posted pictures in a recent blog showing my love kitchen with white cabinetry and basketweave floor.) So I did some research at Ikea online about their kitchens and I can save a couple thousand dollars by buying their cupboards and butcher-block countertop. They also have a great selection of sinks and faucets as well. So I’m all set to go with Ikea as long as I’m still into it when the time comes around. I just wished that I lived closer to an Ikea.

No comments:

Post a Comment